Comment about the webcomic

Discuss & share art and comics here!

Comment about the webcomic

Postby Nameless fan » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:04 am

Hi there.

This message is for the author of the "Undertow" webcomic, Britt. (i assume)

I am just taking this opportunity to write down some words of encouragement about your webcomic.

I know i'm probably one of many anonymous readers of your webcomic who doesn't take the time to come down and chat and leave comment about the strips, but i would like to say that i appreciate a lot your works and webcomic. You have great talent and i hope you will continue drawing and posting us those fabulous piece of arts.

It's a bit sad to see so few updates. I know thought a lot of others great artist who also doesn't always have the time to do so. Specialy when their art are as polish as yours. 1 update about once every 2 weeks would be appreciated thought.

So, in the name of the many silent readers who loyally read your fantastic story, i thank you. Keep up the good works!
Nameless fan
Imp

Re: Comment about the webcomic

Postby trashcat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:18 am

what he said....

its just lucky for us she dont play WoW (i hope)
trashcat
Imp

Postby Tarim » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:10 pm

I second that.

That does explain where she's gone though. I suppose the comic only updates when the servers all break. Or whatever it is they do.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Currently the most likely forum member to be killed by a clown in China at the end of the year.
Tarim
Distinctly like a Teacup

Postby Britt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:11 pm

Thank you!

The lack of updates is -not- due to WoW. Unless WoW stands for World of Working. ;__; I wish I didn't have to make money and pay bills, but...not much I can do about it, so I update when I can. I appreciate all of you who continue reading and supporting the comic despite it's slow progress, though ^_^
There are two things in this world...things you can eat, and things you no can eat.
Britt
Overlord

Postby trashcat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:26 pm

well britt you never did tell us how mutch it would cost to buy an update from you.... it would be cool to have a "this update is sponsored by _insert name_"
trashcat
Imp

Postby Britt » Thu May 01, 2008 10:59 am

XD That's an excellent idea, actually. Although I doubt anybody would want to pay my rate...$20/hr x 10hr per page = $200! YIKES. Kind of unrealistic ;_; But, assuming I'm just aiming for a little extra cash, I'd probably ask for a more realistic $50 per page. Which is still not exactly pocket change.

I saw another comic author who said that for every $100 in donations, she'd post an extra page. That's kind of a neat way to do it 'cause at least the readers can anonymously pool their money.
There are two things in this world...things you can eat, and things you no can eat.
Britt
Overlord

Postby Tyris » Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 am

Hmm... twenty-five squids, plus exchange rate gouge. That's not unreasonable... we shall have to carefully balance finances this month and see if it's a real possibility.

Note: Eat less cheese. 'S expensive.

Oh, and there're a fair number of artists who do the extra-update-per-$100 thing. It seems to work fairly well for some, less so for others.

Another, less common option is to sell background cameos...
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
Tyris
Minion

Postby Britt » Thu May 01, 2008 1:03 pm

What's a background cameo? I've never heard of it before.
Britt
Overlord

Postby Tyris » Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 pm

A cameo is a guest appearance, and a background cameo is one that takes place in the background. Some are more obvious than others.

To use an example close to home, it would appear that Saehral can be seen in this page of The KAMics. Incidentally, here is the page of the Crossover & Cameo Archive dedicated to recording the appearances both in and of Undertow.

Some artists have fun drawing in cameos for fun* and to see who will spot them... and some have been known to give them to donators of sufficient generosity, usually specifying that the donator's character/avatar be one that fits into the world of the comic. Inkmonkey even gave speaking roles (still cameo ones, though) for an even greater price, though that was before RealLife(TM) crushed him like a bug.

The difficulty of doing that depends a lot on how rigid/flexible your storyline is, of course. Right now, with Teyn and Saehral in a snowstorm, there is literally no room for background characters.** In town there'd be more opportunity.

There was going to be some kind of structure and point to this post, but it kind of got trodden on by a wild idea (which has now run off and is rampaging around the hippocampal gyrus. We're preparing to mount an expedition to shoot it). If further clarification is needed, just ask. Image

*This tautology has been brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.
**Well, beyond the odd yeti.
You can't look dignified when you're having fun.
Tyris
Minion

Postby Britt » Thu May 01, 2008 4:02 pm

OH! Yeah, THAT kind of cameo. XD It hadn't occurred to me to sell them! I know Penny Arcade auctioned one off once, and got like $10,000 for it. I guess I could try it when the opportunity arises (when the party reaches the next town. There's ALWAYS a next town - such is RPG law). There is even a token Bar Scene that would be perfect for the job, and is approaching (relatively) soon. Sounds like fun!! I have a couple cameos planned, actually, but they're either characters from my other comic or from Annie's (Gryphon Masters), and those probably won't be nearly as funny to anyone else ^_^;
Britt
Overlord

Next

Return to Arts