Adorez-vous Undertow?

Oui
71%
Non
29%

Total votes : 7

Undertow en Français

Postby Cheese = Madness » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:03 pm

(I'm going to practice my French and try and make this a bilingual forum, just a little at a time :). Feel free to correct my spelling/Grammar Salvatos)

J'adore Undertow. Il est très magnifique!
Cheese = Madness
High Demon Lord

Re: Undertow en français

Postby Salvatos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:51 pm

That sounds like fun :)
At first I thought you wanted to translate the comic though :P

First of all, language names in French never take a capital letter. For the record, demonyms take the capital if they are noun but not when they are adjective. Example: Les Québécois parlent français, même si la forme québécoise de la langue diffère de celle utilisée en France.

Otherwise, your message was correctly constructed. However, « magnifique » (notice the French quotation marks ;) ) being what it is, you'll rarely or never see it used with « très ». It's a bit like saying "very marvelous": I guess it can be done, but "marvelous" alone will carry the idea.

Lastly, I'd like to know what was your English equivalent for « magnifique ». Since words of its kind can often be mixed and confused in any language, I'll check if you chose the one you really wanted. In this sentence, French speakers will feel that your address the artwork itself, while I suspect you meant that everything about the comic is wonderful.

P. S. I'm picking on everything I find because I wanna help out and language is among my greatest passions (and I'm a certified French grammar nazi :mrgreen: ), but if you want me to be more relaxed and just point out general rules and guidelines, just ask ;)
And by the way, I feel honoured to see this here :)

**Part 2: Typography**
I am also a typography freak (beware!!). Do you want me to address this aspect of the language as well? For starters, I'll just mention that exclamation and question marks take a non-breaking space between them and the preceding word. The same goes between quotation marks (of which you can see the French version above). I could go on for much longer if you're interested ;)
Salvatos
Demon

Re: Undertow en Français

Postby Tarim » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:43 pm

French Undertow? I thought you were suggesting a translated version as well. Lucky we have Canadians here.

Undertow: Join the forums. We have Canadians!
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Currently the most likely forum member to be killed by a clown in China at the end of the year.
Tarim
Distinctly like a Teacup

Postby Salvatos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Haha :mrgreen:

Well actually I was thinking about that, and translating Undertow pages could be a good exercise. I don't mean posting them anywhere on the website, but for example Cheese could post his translation of the first page, then I'll post mine and tell him what needs to be changed and why, then onward to page 2, etc. It could be fun practice ^^
And a good reason to reread the whole thing little by little 8-)
Salvatos
Demon

Postby Tarim » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:53 pm

:mrgreen: I think I'd read it in French. It's a good way to salvage what little of the language I have left. However, I doubt that my skills are still up to any kind of translation.
Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Currently the most likely forum member to be killed by a clown in China at the end of the year.
Tarim
Distinctly like a Teacup

Postby Salvatos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:56 pm

Well if people are up to that, it will certainly be a pleasure to help with the texts, although I'm no good at image editing.

Funny, I just noticed there was a poll :oops: :mrgreen:
Salvatos
Demon

Postby Cheese = Madness » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:16 pm

Feel free to point out everything. I can't believe I made that F error though. My bad on the très magnifique, people around me use it in English and I just carried it over, and that does sound like a good idea(The comic), but I know how bad my French skills are so I'll give it a try but don't say I didn't warn you(Reaches for the dictionary). I'm rambling a little... and since I've been on topic for too long did you know that Canadian (In the US) is an uncommon euphomism for the N-word?
Cheese = Madness
High Demon Lord

Re: Undertow en français

Postby Mandoade » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Salvatos wrote:Lastly, I'd like to know what was your English equivalent for « magnifique ».

Magnificent. It means roughly the same thing, and both words are based off the same Latin root.

¡Magnífico! en español.
Mandoade
Demon

Postby Salvatos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 pm

What I actually meant is: What English word did you (Cheese) have in mind when you chose to use « magnifique ». I do very well know how to translate « magnifique » ;)
Salvatos
Demon

Postby Cheese = Madness » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:33 pm

I don't even know anymore...
Cheese = Madness
High Demon Lord

Next

Return to General Discussion