[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - Mass Effect vs KOTOR

Mass Effect vs KOTOR

As in, forum games. But if you want to talk gaming, we like that too.

Mass Effect vs KOTOR

Postby Cheese = Madness » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Which do you like more and why?

***Possible Spoiler Alerts ahead. Enter at your own risk.***
I've 'beaten' KOTOR and KOTOR 2 and am working my way through Mass Effect (10 hours in).
I much prefer KOTOR to Mass Effect.
The story was more interesting and immersive. The character interaction was better, but most of all the items were much more interesting and unique. Though I guessed the ending pretty early on I did enjoy that game a lot. There was more choice. Your character's appearance reflected your choices, and there were no elevators.
That being said I did enjoy the combat of Mass Effect, and the first time my ally created a miniature black hole which pulled everyone in I was greatly amused.
Cheese = Madness
High Demon Lord

Re: Mass Effect vs KOTOR

Postby dyre » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:22 am

oh man, if you didn't like Mass Effect's story, you'll hate Mass Effect 2. I thought ME was actually pretty good story-wise; they start out telling you almost nothing and unfold the world around you as they did with KOTOR. But ME2, they tossed the story into the gutter with that one, and character interaction seems to suffer more with each new Bioware game. You more or less click through the "good" conversation options, hardly caring about what your comrade-in-arms is actually telling you. But like you said, combat in both games is really well done.

KOTOR storyline was quite good, I thought. More or less the same "visit these three major places for your main quest" thing that Bioware likes to do, but they seemed to flesh out the characters a lot more, even the minor bad guys :P

not what you asked, but Baldur's Gate 2 wins the storytelling and character interaction competition hands down. Some of your party members even leave your party if you're too good/bad and get into fights with each other (violently). My only regret is that the interaction with whoever you chose to be your significant-other was much more fleshed-out than the interactions between the party members you were just friends with

oh, and what's with this "talk to your buddies when on the spaceship" thing that Bioware always does now? I want my party members to talk to me while I'm exploring the world, as they would in real life.

/rant
dyre
Imp

Postby Britt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:23 am

I played both ME 1 and 2 and LOVED them. :D KOTOR I only played for like half an hour and ended up in front of a rancor with no grenades...so I'm hardly qualified to say.

ME 1 did have way too many long elevators. I dreaded the Citadel. 2 was not as painful, and I REALLY liked the ending scenario in that one - every single person I've talked to has had something different happen. The only part of the 2nd I didn't like was that they got rid of the planet exploration in the Mako tank thing...now you just sit on your spaceship with a slow little radar...not nearly as cool -_-

Totally psyched for the Star Wars MMO, in any case.

And what about Dragon Age?
There are two things in this world...things you can eat, and things you no can eat.
Britt
Overlord

Postby dyre » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:04 pm

hmm, but what about ME2's story? Whereas the first one involves a whole lot of mystery that we slowly learn more about, the second was just "make a team and kill everything" >_>

both ME games were very enjoyable, but I feel that bioware is slipping with its storytelling. just a feeling though

btw, are you the writer of undertow? sorry, I'm new here :P

EDIT: oh right, dragon age. I think it's a great game, but for some reason I couldn't get into the world they created. Maybe because it was so easy to kill those demon bad guys (or whatever the major threat of the day was called) that I couldn't take the "save the universe" thing seriously :S
dyre
Imp

Postby Cheese = Madness » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Cheese = Madness
High Demon Lord

Postby Britt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:37 pm

:twisted:

I didn't think ME2's story was as much of a revelation as the first one. That said, I didn't have any problems with the story in 2. It seemed...shorter maybe...because the whole point was exactly what you said: make a team, make them like you (optional) and go kill stuff. I thought some of the side stories were interesting though - Jacob's? SO WEIRD. And I love anything with the Krogans, they're awesome :D Learning more about the Quarians was neat, too.

Dragon Age was the one that fell flat for me, which is why I brought it up. They didn't explain much other than "OH NOES, HERE COMES THE DARKNESS!" which is pretty generic. Some big evil...an old guy in a secret order recruits you to fight it, then dies on you...hey isn't that Star Wars? :P (And, I HATED the combat. Just sayin'!)
There are two things in this world...things you can eat, and things you no can eat.
Britt
Overlord

Postby Danith Daurkreign » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:22 am

I haven't played any of those. :?

Granted I just got a PS3 about a month ago, as a means of saving money, no less. 8-)

I've actually been spending a lot of time playing Elder Scrolls IV: GOTY Edition which is a lot of fun (I know its old). Though Dragon Age is one that I heard was great, and wanted to try out. THat's too bad though to hear it's more just run of the mill. :(

And I didn't even know that they were coming out with a new StarWars MMO. :o

But I am terribly excited for StarCraft II :)
Danith Daurkreign
High Demon Lord

Postby dyre » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:35 am

well, dragon age is definitely much better than Oblivion (TES IV is Oblivion, right?), even any heavily modded versions of Oblivion, which I assume you don't have since you have it on PS3.

give it a shot =P
dyre
Imp

Postby Britt » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:40 am

Dragon Age is probably worth playing. I just didn't like it nearly as much as the Mass Effects. Supposedly they conclude the story properly in downloadable expansions...that just makes me angry; I already paid for a whole game!! :rant:

I never got into StarCraft. I want....DIABLO. :twisted: (Surprise, surprise)
Britt
Overlord

Postby Danith Daurkreign » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 am

I like Oblivion so far. It's fulfilling its purpose, which is to keep me entertained so I don't get bored and go out. But we'll see if I try out Dragon Age, I need to beat the games I'm playing right now first, i think.

And I'm pretty stoked for Diablo too, but we don't have a release date for that yet, is there?
Danith Daurkreign
High Demon Lord

Next

Return to Games